TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsLog inRegisterWho's Online

Share | 

Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:52 pm

TREAT YOUR MEAT
OR VENISON FROM FIELD TO FIRE
I cant tell you how many times I have heard people say “I don’t care for deer meat its too gamey for my taste.” Every time I hear that its like a challenge to prove them wrong. My usual response is something along the lines of “ Come to my place Saturday night and I will change your mind about venison “ that night after large chunks of venison are marinated and grilled to perfection. The usual comments are “you sure that’s deer meat?”
“its tender and juicy, and not gamey at all” One hunter after trying that grilled venison said to me and I quote “I will never fry back strap again” I can not think of a stronger statement coming from a south Texas deer hunter! Another guy asked how he could get some for his family? I told him the only way to get more was to go get it himself. He is now a licensed hunter! I am vary proud of that. What I have learned is there are many factors involved with producing tasty table fair. Starting with( shot placement) a quick clean kill is important The less running& flip flopping they do the better for the meat. The next thing you need to do is get that deer on ice. The quicker you skin and prep and cover in ice the better. Many ranchers these days don’t want you field dressing your deer in the same spot you hunted it. I think for two reasons, one so you don’t foul up the spot you hunted in and two I believe is a management thing, undressed weight and general health and condition of the herd. Because of this trend I have been practicing a style of cleaning deer that seems a little crazy to most but works vary well for me. Are you ready?
I don’t gut the deer! That’s right I said it I don’t gut the deer and I have a good reason for not doing it. OK here is a story from a story. Many years ago I was on a tuna fishing trip out of Freeport Texas. Yes I know it’s a fishing story but it ties together, trust me. Anyhow one of the guys on the boat went by the name of Dr.Shark . This guy knows a lot about fishing, I mean a LOT. So it behooved me to stay close he was giving out advice and information and I was soaking up all I could. As you can tell I am more hunter and less fisherman. On the second night out after a fair amount black fin and a few yellows, were on ice there was a lull in action, “moving to another spot” Dr Shark took one of those small black fins and carefully cut the best pieces of meat off the tuna,sliced it thin and piled it on a plate.I remember thinking to myself “ Boy hes quite particular about cutting bait” then he put that plate on the table and pulled out of his cooler soy sauce, and green stuff in a tube and some other things I did not immediately recognize,and was afraid they were going to EAT !? Well his group sat at that table and were enjoying the hell out of that RAW FISH!? All of a sudden my fears came true he said “ come over and try this you’ll like it” I think he offered for two reasons one he is a really nice guy. And the other because I was standing there staring at them with my head cocked to one side. You know “like a dog hearing a whistle”. Well I figured I was about half a beer away from trying raw fish so I headed to the table. Thinking a qualifying question was not out of order I said”How do you know that raw fish wont make yall sick” his exact words I don’t recall but the jist of it was not gutting the fish and using a clean knife to take the meat of the bone there is no fecal bacteria transfer to the meat therefore safe to eat raw or otherwise. Also its fresh caught today to get it any fresher you would need to dive in the water and then take a bite. Surprising to say but it was vary good and I will try it again next time I go tuna fishing. so back to the first story, without gutting the deer and using separate knives for skinning, liberating rectal and genital areas and finely quartering into primal cuts leaves the meat clean and it has a better chance of no bacterial transfer. With that done its time to begin the ageing process. The best steak (beef) you ever had was probably aged up to 28 days in a walk in cooler. That ageing process makes the meat tender and flavorful. What works for beef also works for venison. Problem is most of us don’t have a walk in cooler. So I use a large ice chest place primal cuts in chest and cover with ice pull drain plug and put a brick or something under the opposite side to promote drainage and repack daily with ice .I have read that the recommended time for ageing deer meat is 4 to 5 days. I don’t think that’s enough time so I say 7 days. Most of us in Texas hunt weekends only and 4 to 5 days ageing has you trying to process your deer on Thursday or Friday and you aint got enough time after work to do that. So 7 days minimum for does as for bucks especially old ones or any in or close to rut I go 14 days minimum it helps kill gamey taste. If you handle harvesting,cleaning,processing and preparation of your kill yourself not only do you save lots of money you also have the confidence to serve it to your family and friends knowing it is the cleanest healthiest red meat ----- Money cant buy .

Jeff Jeter President, Texas Cull Hunters Assoc.com

“EAT THE MEAT”
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 am

Cull, my wife is one who says they do not like deer. A few years back, my brother called me and invited us over for some chicken fry steak fingers. Well the fact is, it was deer meat and not steak.. To make a long story short, I did not tell my wife that she was eating deer until she had several helpings down her and she was done. Up until I told her that what she was eating was not steak but deer, she was very much enjoying her meal. Point is, too many people have there mind made up before they realy give deer a chance,. Just thought I would share this with you ,I will never forget that night, she was actualy quiet pissed to say the least..lol

Any way.. Question on the aged meat.. I was have been told by many, that I need to hang my deer in the back yard for several days, Durring cold weather I can see that and know about the age process and how it breaks down the meat to be more tender. But what is a temp out side that I should be looking for to make this happen, I am not against this at all, I just want to be safe and sure would hate to loose a deer over being uneducated and miss informed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am

The only way i can get my wife to eat deer is to make it into sausage or mix it with something else...I been told you can age your deer meat in the ice chest by draining the the water and adding more ice as you go ..i know this removes a lot of the blood from the meat....We are so far away from home (185 mi.) that this is the only way we can keep the meat...We are 22mi form town so trying to keep the ice at a slow melt is what we try to do and it help to keep the GW at bay also.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 am

Redog

How long do u age your meat this way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am

probably not long enough....as soon as it is laid to rest it gets quarter up and goes in the cooler and stay in there all weekend long or as long as we are at the lease ..then at home i give it a day or two draining the water often .....I`ve seen this done both ways ...i`ve seen guys skin them and leave them hanging in the tree all weekend long but most of the time in So. Tx you cant do this so thats where the ice chest comes in........

BTW are the posting times wrong?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Hunt :
It is typically not cold enough in most of Texas to hang meat outside for extended periods of time.
I think the safest way to protect your kill is to quarter into primal cuts and get it on ice as quick as possiable!!
Cull
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 am

Hunt: In a cooler packed with ice I will age a doe for 7 days, a young buck not in rut the same, old buck or
rutting buck I will age for 10 to 14 days. wich is half the time prime beef is aged !!

Cull
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:41 am

Since we are on the subject.. Redog,Cull.. what is your process with a hog?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

For me its the same as deer... But again i dont keep the boars .....One time years ago hunting in Medina Co. we shot a big boar and decided to have it made into smoke sausage links..... it was edible but it had its own taste that you would not serve to your beer dranken buddy's......one other time when my brother-in-law and sis law where new to hog huntin they bbq a hog and invited us over ...That stuff would gag a maggot!!!...Not even a good cold red dog would wash that down!!!....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I have to say, that was the one good thing about my time in NJ, my friends and I used an old refridgerater truck body. Never needed a running unit because in the winter it was always below 40 degrees. after we finished hunting we hung them in the truck body and the following Sunday pull them in and process them. Also last year we had what they called earn a buck, you had to kill a doe before you could take a buck, and in my area was unlimited antlerless deer. Trying to bring the numbers down. I never shot a buck last year but had 70 lbs in the freezer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Thats bad when u wont even feed your drunk buds the piggy.. Thats insane.. Must realy been ripe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:39 am

question on the aged deer meat, are you packing the meat under the ice? laying on top the ice ? I am going to hang my 1st deer this year and process it myself and do this. Just looking for any advice out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

Hunt

Ice on top, I prefer, cause heat rises also pull that drain plug let the melt off run out. Some say to leave it floating
in water and ice to bleed out. Ive tried this and do not care for the flavor or texture. If you age your deer in the cooler
the way I described you will be happy with the results. If you go to check the ice daily and after a few days something
smells a little off, dont freak out its whats draining out of the cooler not whats in it . I try to drag the cooler to different
spots in the yard to fertilize more area. haha Cull
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Hunt Try this   Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:21 am

Treat your Meat .....To the Grill
cullhunter1 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 am

.Treat Your Meat…………To the Grill

OK here goes my favorite part of the whole deal. The part where we put the meat to the fire! Go to the freezer and pull enough meat to feed the amount of people you are entertaining +2. If there are some leftovers “I doubt there will be” sliced thin and made into a cold sandwich the next day is outstanding. Defrost the day before you plan to cook. Pick the larger pieces hind quarter or back strap is best. Place the vacuum sealed packages in a sink and cover with cold water once defrosted usually 1or 2 hours remove from bags and rinse under tap, place on cutting board and pat dry with paper towel.
Now it is time to do your final knife work. Carefully remove as much as you can of the silver skin and sinew. Rule of thumb is (white is bad red is good). This can be a pain in the posterior but it is important for the meal and like all things it gets easier with time.
Another rule of thumb(white is gamey red is tasty) last rule of thumb is (watch your thumbs while doing knife work) when trimming is complete put meat in large zippy bags and dump in some marinade your favorite will do nicely but if it does not have oil in it add a splash of olive oil. A simple marinade to try is mostly Italian dressing, with a splash
Of soy sauce or worstishire worsttashere Lea & Perrins whichever you prefer squeeze in some fresh lime and add some extra garlic if you want (venison loves garlic) seal bag shake it up to mix and put in fridge over night. When it is time to cook I find it is good to have everything else you plan to serve pretty close to completion as deer meat grills fast.
Place meat on grill over hot coals (direct heat) time depends on size of pieces.
DO NOT OVER COOK!!! Medium to medium rare is the only way. If someone in your party likes their meat well done make them a chicken or something. Enjoy but be careful it is so good you may never fry back strap again, you have been warned!!

Jeff Jeter President, Texas Cull Hunters Association
Back to top Go down
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Whats you thoughts on using dry ice in the cooler to do this, ? From others I have read, they say its best to leave the meat as dry as you can so when you freeze it, it dose better, will not have so much water soaked in, I have a notion to just put the meet at the bottom of the fridge uncovered for a week, but my wife may want a divorce after the fact lol, I have been running crazy thinking about what I should do, I want to do the cooler thing and then I want to do the fridge too. grrrr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Im thinking dry ice will freeze the meat slowing down the process of aging and may cause freezer burn to the meat also ....Just a wild guess tho.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunt to eat

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Ohhhh , thinking about this aging meat is getting me all stressed. Why am I now so obsessed with it.. Its just I keep thinking water and Ice and meat dose not go good together, but I guess I guess need to try to stop re thinking what works and do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Just throw it on the fire and lets eat!!! Very Happy ........I never worry about aging much its all good!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm

I was always told to open the drain so the water would run out and the ice would keep the meat cold, the blood would drain out with the water, just be sure the blood runs off somewhere that doesn't let it puddle or stand because then it would start to smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Thats a good reminder FD and the fire ants and fly's will find it also.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 am

Hunt

The meat will be fine wich ever way you do it as long it remains cold. As far as the meat soaking up water that aint gonna
happen as long as it aint floating and you DONT salt it. I have read also that its best to keep it dry but I dont feel that it
is realistic for sportsmen and working men to try to do what the butcher at his shop does. Personally I have done the method
described in (treat your meat) for more than 10 years now and have been more than thrilled with it!! I turned a non-hunter
into a hunter with one taste of grilled deer meat. True story!! Dont worry so much Hunt its easy and you will do fine.

Cull

Last edited by cullhunter1 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 am

Amen!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Ok, now I'm hungry, gotta kill something this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm

FD

Go Get You Some!!!!!!!! Good luck to all this weekend!!

Cull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire   

Back to top Go down

Treat your Meat or Venison from field to Fire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1