HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsLog inRegisterWho's Online

Share | 

new bow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
squirving88

PostSubject: new bow   Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm

I would like to get into bow hunting. I have been looking at a few bows to start off. I was looking at a 2011 MARTIN THRESHOLD . Do they make good bows? It goes for 200 bucks online. I was also looking at a quest hammer by G5. Any suggestions on a first bow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BMarshall

PostSubject: Re: new bow   Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48 am

One of the bow hunters in here is bound to have some info for you. I would but I don't know squat about bows..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: new bow   Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:25 am

You need to get with jackrabbit68 he is our resident bow hunting expert.

And good luck with your new hunting style!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: new bow   Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Martin makes a fine bow. That's what Ted Nugent uses. I'm not that familiar with the G5, unless it the Prime. That is an awesome bow.

What I would consider if I were you is a used Mathews. Mathews folks tend to buy the newest model every year (Which came out last week). That leaves good, late-model top of the line bows at a fraction of the price of a new Mathews. If you can find a used Z7 (2009), you should be able to pick it up for about $350 - $400. The Z7 Extreme is newer, but not that much different, and the Heli-m is the model that came out last week.

You need to be measured for your draw length if you go with Mathews because they are not adjustable. Bass Pro will measure you for free.

Most other brands are adjustable.

Another great economical bow brands that are solid is Diamond (made by Bowtech).

If the Martin is fully decked out, you're in good shape. Just about every accessory you need to add runs about $100 each (Stabilizer, sight, release, string stopper, arrows, broadheads, quality practice target), so it adds up quickly if you buy a "Bare" bow.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

john_79227

PostSubject: Re: new bow   Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 am

I personally like the G5 Hammer its a pretty fast hard hitting bow. As far a the Martin Threshold I would stay away from it. I had one and the limbs blew up after 3 weeks and didnt feel no kinda good. I heard that that has happened to several people. A Mathews bow or Diamond would be a great bow to start out with. Heck a Bear bow would be good to. Whatever you get be sure to do research about it first and maybe shoot one before you buy it. I dont know how you plan to hunt or how your built so I really dont know what to suggest. As a good started bow I would suggest a bow thats a few yrs old already set up so you dont get alot of money involved and decide you dont care much for it. You can get Mathew SQ2's and Diamond for around $200 and those would make great starter bows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jackrabbit68

PostSubject: Re: new bow   Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Good to know about the Martin Threshold.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new bow   

Back to top Go down

new bow
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION :: TEXAS HUNTING :: Bow Hunting-
Jump to: