TEXAS CULL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION

HUNTING AINT NO HOBBY, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsLog inRegisterWho's Online

Share | 

Pet Peeve and other hunting problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 pm

When it comes to hunting and the trend hunting has taken - whats your pet peeve?

My biggest pet peeve is " the high fence" operation !! I HATE em - cant stand em and dont like the site of em!! I hate when people use the word "hunting" when talking about them.Its not hunting - when shooting a captured animal.I hate T.V now days..it is the single worse violator of hunting traditions- thats pretty much all you see on T.V today.Some dufus running around in a off road vehicle -with his "guide" - the day I need a "guide" to find some deer - is the day I quit deer hunting.I love it even more when some -OUT OF STATE- fat cat comes in and buys 1000 acres of prime texas land - puts up a high fence and then "claims" all the captured animals in the process as " his ".......I could go on but I think ya get the jest
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:03 am

I thought trapping deer was against the law.......but i guess it depends on how much money one has.....Now where raising them in pens like cattle ...whats next!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Not only that red;

when you concentrate wild game like that into pens,we are sure enough gonna end up with alot of the same problems those up north have right now.Chronic wasting diease etc etc..
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey guys I think this is a great topic of wich again I find find my self (On the fence) about.
On one side I see it like yall do and on the other side I think that hunting in Texas is big business!! Thats the reality
of it. Good or bad thats what it is. Like all business owners they have to protect thier investment.
Also I belive that some of the oldest (high fence) properties in Texas are on hwy 41 headed for Mt,Home.
Both sides of the Hwy were high fenced by the state in the 50s. To cut down on the high amount of deer related
accidents. Taken even further, The business of deer hunting in Texas and the high fence situation actually helped
create the nessecity for TCHA and some of the work that we do. I agree that some of the purity might be lost but
I also like the work we get out of it.

Thats my 2 cents.................................................................Cull
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.texascullhuntersassoc.com

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 am

I think the problem is a double standard.

On one hand - if TPWD wants to raise deer in a pen to increase genetics and improve herd managment - then I am all for it.But lets leave it to the state !! I dont think ANYONE has the right to put up a fence and then "claim" all the wildlife captured in the process !!

I will go out on a limb on this one and probably catch some heat for it -but here goes :

I think we should take a Vote on the High Fence issue- I can pretty much gar ron tee - most Texans will vote to "ban" any further high fence operations.

I think the TPWD dept should discontinue the sell of "out of state" license to anybody.

I think the Hog Eradication program that some of the counties are now gettin ready to initiate should be stopped and only if the landowner can prove crop damage or hay field damage - then the landowner can apply extreme measure to eradicate them from thier property- but only in those cases.

This is the one that will catch me the most grief: I think the state should set a "cap" on deer lease fee's.If a person is going to profit from Texas wildlilfe then the state should be able to put a cap on the fee.Say a 700.00 per gun limit -
The average Joe is being taken right out of hunting - Cull 1 is right in one aspect- and on the fence just like I said.But we as the hunter need to take some kind of action - or we the hunter is going to find ourselves hunting European style of hunting : drive to property - see animal - shoot animal - pay per pound for your kill.....I believe less Govt is a good thing...But the state being involved is also the only way I see that we the average Joe can have our voice heard and our opinion taken into consideration.Keep in mind that the state tells us what to do and not to do on a daily basis - so those that start yelling - its just more Govt control....that defense is useless in my eyes....we are talking Wildlife here - not highway regulations....big difference- Lets look at it this way...........I saltwater fish all summer long and hunt all winter long- lets say that the state of texas put up a high fence from Surfside Tx to Galveston and then told you you could not fish any of that area any longer - would you be pissed...I know I would be.,okay - I'm off my soapbox... Laughing
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:17 pm

700x

Wow its good to have some one as passionate as your self with us!!! I think I am not going remember all of the points
you made but I will try to comment as much as I can. I believe the most interesting comment you made was about
land owners fencing properties and laying claim to the wildlife inside. With a little time to think about it I can see a bit
of a discrepency in the way things are done. If all indigenous species of wildlife are property of the state and therefore
governed by the state then how does one simply fence a parcel of land and then sell the states deer by the head?
I am sure there is some law in the books that we are not aware of that allows that but it still dosent make it logical.

On the banning of out of state liscences I think that is EXTREME to say the least I dont understand your reasoning with that
statement. I love to go to Maine and fish the Smallmouth Bass spawn in july (when I used to be able to afford to do so)
It would be "Un-American" for the state of Maine to tell me I cant because I dont live there and vice-versa.
Being a free country and all!!

OH yeah the Hog free for all you mentioned thats the first I have heard of this program so I dont know anything about it
but I can tell you that I beleive that introducing any non-indigenous species into any eco-system is always bad for the
local wildlife and often the only solution is erradication for the sake of the local animals and land.

Put it this way them piggys are smart prolific breeders and I dont think that there is any way to wipe them out
completely so I think your concern is un-warrented.

Well thats all I can remember.....................Tag Your It....................................Cull
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Cull : there is only 5 years between us.With that being said - I have hunted for 43 of the last 50.I can remember when a good deer lease was 300.00 a gun.Today that same lease is 1500.00 per gun.Its the same dirt - same deer - but back in the day a landowner would lease his land to a hunter and use the money to pay his taxes.Not so anymore - today its big bizness- plain and simple,kinda ties my chain in a knot !! High fence operations - Guides - out of state hunters have all contributed to the cost of the average Joe being charged an arm and leg to do what we enjoyed 40 years ago.Suppply and demand- well of course thats a factor- but when you have some Fat Cat coming in from out of state and he /she pays 10,000 big ones to kill a 170 class deer in the Golden Triangle area - well that just leaves ol Joe high and dry- even though Joe is the one paying taxes in the state and works and put money year round into the economy.I know most of this seems trivial at best- but its the little things that we as Texans have allowed that is screwing up what use to be a great past time for the family,and is now falling by the wayside.
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm

7 -I remember the good ole days also and I will give you an example the first NEW truck I bought cost 12k
and the last truck I bought same model-same payload-even the same color and that truck cost 35k
Things change, prices go up , what was once a family tradition is now a family business thats the way it is
these days. I am not saying I like the cost of things or do I care for some of the changes to hunting in Texas.

But I see no sence in Complaining about it, It seems to me that if one continues to harp on the way it USED to
be they will surely miss out on LIFE TODAY.

Cull
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 am

Oh I follow what your saying- I just feel better getting it off my chest-I'm smart enough to know that one person can not make a difference.I also go ahead and pay the big bucks so that my family can enjoy the same things I enjoyed as a kid and still love to do today- but I always voice my opinion- popular or not.What I find really sad is the fact that someone can pay 10,000 dollars to go kill a 170 class deer and thats just what they have done- killed a 170 class deer to display on their office wall and the only thing taken from the hunt was the animal.Me and you on the other hand have a passion for hunting and that tradition is slowly going by the way side - due to other peoples actions.I can sit in a blind all day and never pull the trigger - I can sit in a duck blind all day and never pull the trigger and will be just as happy as if I had a limit in 30 minutes- its what we make of the hunt and the value of the hunt that sets me and you apart from the guy paying 10,000. Tv is our biggest enemy - they have the generation coming up today believeing that if you dont kill a limit or if you dont drop at least a 140 class deer- then your trip was not worth it.At the same time - I let anything under a 8 pointer walk- it kills my buddy for them to see me and watch me let a 8 point 125 or 130 class deer just keep walking - am I a Trophy hunter ??- yes - but not any where near the same as 10,000 dollar guy - I'm a Trophy hunter in a different kind of way - I also liked the 7.00 dollar hunting license - one small piece of paper - today I have my wife's and sons hunting license in my wallet and it feels like I am sitting on a telephone book.

I guess you could look at all of this as " complaining " - But through the years I have learned to continue to express my concern and continue to complain - ENOUGH of us did not do so 2 years ago - NOW LOOK WHAT IS SITTING IN THE WHITEHOUSE !!!
Back to top Go down
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 am

Touche, My freind, I did not mean to cut against the grain but I guess thats the Irish in me!! I agree with what you say
hunting today is not the pass time of the working class as it used to be. I am also glad you could get it off your chest.
I guess thats part of what these forums are for. I dont know for sure I never spent much time on any forum till I started
this one. So I am learning.

OK my pet peeve is hunters that dont eat what they kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Varmit hunters excluded. If you shoot it then you better damn well eat it. Thats a quote from my grandfather and
I could not aggree more. If you have high end deer heads on your wall and you did not clean those deer yourself
maybe the ranch hand did it for you than you sir are not a hunter, Maybe interior decorator is a bit closer to it! haha

Dang it 700x now you got me doing it "complaining" that is..haha..............................................................Cull
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Pop corn.... Peanuts...Cold beer!!!!...... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 pm

Ya see Red..............Just a couple of days without checking in and you miss all the fun !!!!!!! lol

Cull
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I got .2 but thought it was best!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Gotcha!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 am

Dont hold back Red- tell us how you feel .If you disagree with any of my comments thats okay too.I'm a little extreme when it comes to high fence "shooting" and all the other B/S going on in the outdoor world-
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:49 am

Ok now that i have been invited..... my .2........I learned a long time ago that the landowners in the State of Texas has a lot of power on what can be done with there land .....If i was a landowner and someone told me how to spend my money on it or what i can or can`t do with it .....that would not make me very happy........ Another one is if i want to start a business on my land i feel that i should have that right as long as all this falls with in the laws of Texas.........

High Fence....looking from the inside out......This is the landowners choice... you may put up any size fence..... even around you own home.......but inside that fence it gets very expense now..... you have all these animals that eat and reproduce. So if you don`t feed them and keep the numbers down (esp. in dry weather) there will be sickness and death and that`s where the law is broken!......Also on most ranches there are cattle being raise that add to the expense... There has to be dirt water tanks dug for water and wells to keep them full during dry times.....So paying all this money out to keep everything in check there has to be a return from it by selling hunts to keep the numbers down and leasing high fence land to help with the cost of feed, etc. that never seem to go down in price..... This give the hunter a choices high fence deer or low fence deer....

One thing that i have seen with my own eyes that should be against the law with high fences is trap doors ...one way in no way out.....and there is a feeder set up just on the inside of the door ...this is wrong!!! ..............

I always though the high fence started along the highways to keep the poachers at bay and is a good idea to keep the road kill down...... a lot of good deer are lost to the highway witch reminds me that they say the deer belong to the state of Texas but you hit one with your truck and see who has to pay for the damage.....

We hunters have a choice on what we want to hunt weather it be ducks or deer..... there are some ppl still hunting for free or pay very little.... i my self are not that lucky and have to pay top dollar to satisfied my hunting needs. No ones gonna give me anything so if i had to work more then two jobs to hunt then thats what i will do because i love it too hunting too much!!!! ...The only way you can control the cost of deer hunting is to be the landowner loaded with money and have a heart ......

High fence ocean front properly.....only in Arizona 7...........but if u look at it a lot of that has been taken away also ...When i was a kid we could fish off of any pier ....now its all privet and you have to be staying at that motel to fish on the pier ...sucks!.....

What we need is for cull man to get us a good TCHA lease/ club ....deer,hogs ducks, dove fishin etc...

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Okay Red- lets looks at it from a different perspective: Lets say your the landowner of the other side of the 1500 acres that just got High Fenced,,,, are you mad now ??? Now you - (wether you want it or not ) now have one side of your property high fenced - Now all the deer that once came through the northern section of your land is now diverted in another direction becuz dufus next to you put up a fence....theres more to it than just being " a legal right " legal dont mean its right- just saying-
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Well there`s two or three ways to look at it .....The landowner on the out side of the high fence can`t change what happen and most high fences are move in about five feet from the old barb wire fence.....Now, landowner on the outside just got part of his place high fence for free witch is very expense i might add...... And as far as the hunting not all the deer are lock up in side the high fence and a lot of ranches even run out the native whitetail so they can bring in the SCI deer (dont get me started on that i hate it!!!).......A hunting ranch with a HF on one side can be dang good hunting cause it does change the deer patterns and keep them on you side of the fence longer. If the ranch you are hunting does not hold deer on it then the chance`s are that place is not very good anyway...If the outside landowner get his place fence off on three sides then that`s bad unless his plan was HF to start with.....

Last edited by redog on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:23 am

And the saga continues!!!!...................................this is cool

Cull
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:16 am

There are a bunch of good low fence hunting places out there and its not always the landowners fault putting up the HF... its the dumb butt hunters shooting everything that walks..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:58 am

Well what I've noticed since I came back to TX is that the leases have gotten so high, but paychecks haven't so it's pushing more hunters like me to public land. I've always hunted public because being a meat hunter I can't see paying to get meat. I can pay to get it at the store. But now with so many hunters on public land you wind up with one hunter in a ground blind and another in a tree stand above him. I still have had no luck finding any game animal to kill no hog or deer, they're just too pressured in LBJ. I,m going to have to start over somewhere else. Also these tv hunting shows aren't helping. Now everyone who can buy a gun and camo thinks that they're Micheal Waddell. Friday evening a buddy of mine called, said he was out at LBJ in a tree stand, got there early set up and had been sitting there for 2 hours waiting for dusk when 2 goobers walked up to the tree line in front of him right on the edge of the field, with lawn chairs and guns and set down right there like they would be able to hunt like that, sitting in the open in lawn chairs!! Anyway he was in the trees a couple of rows back hidden like a normal hunter, he figured the hunt was over so he got down and gave them hell for setting up in front of him like that. Anyway, now I've gotten that off my chest, thanks guys.
Ralph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:51 pm

I feel your pain Fyrdog.......The blue collar and some white collar hunters have all been practically priced out of the market
Thats one of the reasons I started TCHA to try to find a way for some of us to get in the woods! I also think that the recent
popularity of (Trophy TV) is also a problem there is no balance, no one shows the REAL DEAL of what hunting really is.
In turn we now have uneducated newbies thinking its just like on tv, setting up lawn chairs waiting on a trophy????
This actually SCARES ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be careful out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........................................Cull
Back to top Go down
fyrdog929

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Well, I've decided to give up on LBJ so I don't get shot out there. I went and got my permit to hunt at Lake Lewisville, on the Denton side. Can only do archery for hog, but it's still hunting, and I'll do some goose hunting out there as well. So now I have to go scouting and see what's going on out there, and if it's overcrowded like LBJ. Also no deer hunting there. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

I travel 180mi. every weekend one way....it worth it to me when you have a good deer heard and a great landowner...... Good luck to ya fyr keep us posted ......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay

PostSubject: Parks and Wildlife    Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Seems that our license fees keep going up but unlike many western states we have little public land to hunt and when Parks and Wildlife have hunts on parks they really act like the deer belong to them and not the citizens of Texas. Then they act as thought the land owners have no rights to how to manage the hunts especially on large ranches that the game never leaves the property even without being high fenced.

I got in trouble several years ago on a lease that was supposedly game managed and the rancher wanted culls taken. I did and took my one legal buck but the game warden said it was only the next year that it was going under game management and disallowed my lease agreement as evidence. I paid the fine (about $500) and they got the rack. Still displayed with the Park and Wildlife Hall of shame. Took that animal while it was sleeting in an open blind.

Game Wardens need to concentrate on illegal hunting and not the law abiding. Easy enough to pull into a camp and issue citations. Not so easy to catch poachers. Just my opinion.

I am going to my brothers place after Christmas. He wants axis does taken. I am going to oblige as I have used the last of my sausage. Need some fresh.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swejff@yahoo.com
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Jay Its good to see you here and yes I aggree the GWs could possiably spend more of thier time going after the
outlaws and leave the rest of us be..............................................................................Cull
Back to top Go down
redog

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Hogs...everybody want to clean out all the hogs .....Not ME!!!...I say leave my hogs alone!!!!...To me this is the most fun and cheap way to keep hunting....You dont need much land to hog hunt on but water is the key.....no tags to screw up on .......and you can go anytime of the year you want too...day or night!!!...... Hey J Where ya from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Youngun1987

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 pm

I'll chime right in, as I'm a current student and a government major at UT Austin.

The state has to consider the wildlife its property so that it can regulate hunting. That being said, they have to balance their ability to regulate with the approval of the hunters. As hunting has become more and more popular (thus bigger and bigger business and revenue in tax $$ to the state), the state has to bend to the will of the land owners. With the growth in popularity of hunting, land owners have begun to make investments in their own properties to make them more attractive to hunters and lure in more $$. That's just simple economics. That and the law of inflation also accounts for the increase in prices. You probably got more on that newer truck that you paid $37k for as opposed to $12k.

What really yanks my crank is the lack of accessibility that younger hunters have to the sport. I was not raised hunting, I happened to go skeet shooting with a friend in my senior year of high school and I was hooked. I went straight to Bass Pro afterward and bought my first shotgun, and haven't missed a dove season since. Back to my point, I moved on to deer and hog hunting, but have not had much success in learning the trade. Luckily I made friends with a fraternity brother with a family ranch near Laredo, and their family has taught me everything I know about hunting and management. I got my first doe with them, and they continue to invite me out at the end of each season to help take off excess doe. Aside from my reliance upon the kindness of this family, I've had to pay out the nose for the ability to hunt. I just wish it were easier to get out in the woods. Hopefully this organization can help with that .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cullhunter1

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Young Gun;...........................Welcome to the party, We are glad to have you here and glad you have something to
say! Creating oppertunity for Texans to hunt and for younger Texans to learn and hunt is what we are trying and
succeding at doing so! We look forward to helping you find more ways to get your( knees in the trees).

....................................................................................................Cull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet Peeve and other hunting problems   

Back to top Go down

Pet Peeve and other hunting problems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1